It’s better to use plastic containers or moving boxes
There are many things to consider when you’re moving. It is important to pack all of your belongings in the right way, especially if you have to move them all at once. You can wrap larger items with plastic or blankets, but smaller items should be kept safe in plastic containers.
This guide will explain the advantages of each material, including its cost, size, and durability. This information will assist you in deciding the right material for you.
Cardboard boxes Pros and cons
The classic moving container is the cardboard box. The cardboard box has many advantages and can save you money if you have enough. There are downsides to choosing cardboard boxes well. Below is a general overview of the benefits and drawbacks of cardboard boxes.
The pros of cardboard boxes
- Local businesses can provide free boxes. You can always get a new supply of boxes if you have contacts in the retail or restaurant industries.
- Available in many sizes and shapes to suit different storage needs
- If taped correctly, boxes can be strong enough for long-term storage and in the moving truck.
- They are both biodegradable as well as recyclable and good for the environment.
The cons of cardboard boxes
- It is possible for free moving boxes to not be available at all times.
- The durability of free boxes can be affected by oil and water.
- If cardboard boxes are not properly sealed or assembled, they can fall to the bottom.
- Water can cause the cardboard to become soggy and lose its durability. This can make it difficult to move during severe weather.
Plastic Containers: Pros and Cons
Plastic containers are versatile and can be used to help you move. They are reliable and convenient for both cross-country and local moves. These are the main benefits and drawbacks of this type of container.
The pros of plastic containers
- They are extremely durable and can protect the contents from water damage and pests.
- For those who have limited space, you can buy collapsible plastic storage containers.
- You can choose from a variety of colors, and they can be used in storage or homes to display seasonal items.
- Reuseable after the move to make it more eco-friendly.
- Plastic does not lose its shape when it comes in contact with water.
The cons of plastic containers
- Moving companies on a tight budget may find it prohibitive to purchase plastic containers.
- Plastic containers are not easy to fold or collapse, which means that they take up much space when you move.
- It takes plastic up to 450 years to decay, so any containers that are not used will remain in landfills for more than four centuries. This is a bad choice for the environment, and it’s not an option for eco-friendly people.
Repurposing Plastic Containers and Boxes after the Move
Both cardboard and plastic containers can be recycled in an eco-friendly way, no matter what type you choose. Both can be used in environmentally-conscious ways with just a little creativity.
- These can be used temporarily as nightstands or tables if you have a need for temporary furniture.
- For easy cleaning and retrieval, can be converted into a toy chest for children or a shoebox.
- It can be used to store seasonal items such as holiday decorations, clothing, and sporting equipment. Its waterproof nature makes this an excellent choice for long-term storage.
- It can be reused to create more waste.
- It can be used to store odds and ends around your home. It is especially useful for protecting dishes or other items that aren’t sensitive to moisture.
- It can be used temporarily as a toy bin for children or any other type of temporary furniture until you get your regular furniture.
What is more eco-friendly: cardboard or plastic?
Because cardboard is biodegradable and easy to recycle, it’s generally more eco-friendly than plastic. You can still reuse plastic bins in your home to keep items safe for many years.
Plastic bins are better than cardboard if you plan to store your items in a long-term storage unit. Plastic bins are waterproof and stackable. They can also protect your items against pests. As long as your items are not damaged by water, you can also reuse cardboard boxes for long-term storage. You can reuse your cardboard boxes for storage units Sebring FL, but you need to find a different way to use them so they don’t end up in the trash.